1.28.2009

Scratch that . . .

I took a test tonight. I did really really well, and I felt good about it. When I got there, they were all out of copies of the test, so I waited around for a while. I tried studying, but I ended up checking out a couple of tests. Finally, I started and took my test up in the break room upstairs. I came out unscathed about 2 and a half hours later.
I sent a celebratory text to a friend of mine at 10:05 - knowing that by then, we'd both be done with the test. He called me back, asking if I just got back from the TC. I said yes, and then he told me some sad news.
He was accused of cheating on that test at the Testing Center.
Yeah, bad news indeed. Here's what he told me what happened. He was getting his test, and he asked if they had any extra scratch paper. "Yeah, there's some in the bin." So he goes to the bin, grabs a sheet and makes an immediate outline for the essays on our test. Two hours later after he's taken the multiple choice portion and made good progress on his essay, the proctor notices that his scratch paper has the wrong stamp. She pulls him out, and they talk to the supervisor. Because of the way we deal with scratch paper at the TC, it seems that the only logical conclusion would be that he brought it in from elsewhere with notes already written on it.
So, he called me explaining this to me, wondering what he could do to remedy the situation. The only thing I know to do is talk to the teacher. Now, I don't know how much of a stickler Dr. Johnson is, or how he would even react to this situation. My friend asked me to come with him when he talks to the teacher, but really I can only say one thing. I can explain the process of stamping and putting out scratch paper.
Here's what I can't do:
-I can't convince fellow employees or even our teacher that this friend did not cheat. As much as I believe it to be true, because of my loyalties to my job, logically it would make sense that he brought in the paper. But because of my loyalties to him as a friend, I know he would never do that sort of thing.
-I can't retell the story. I wasn't there. He might not be telling me the truth. And even if I was on that shift, I don't know if I wouldn't have been able to change the situation.
Is it possible to believe him and trust the integrity of the Testing Center at the same time? Yeah, this puts me in a weird situation. Advice, anyone?

2 comments:

Lisa Merkley said...

oy. not fun. obviously you can't convince anyone that your friend didn't cheat. it's too bad you don't know any one sitting around you and therefore don't have anyone to ask as a witness. all you can do is tell the truth to whomever wants to hear it.

LaRae said...

That is a sad and tough situation to be in. I hope that it works out well. Is it possible that someone (testing center employee)could have put a scratch paper in the bin without remembering to stamp it? And how would you or he (your friend) prove it?