2.19.2009

The Missionary Generation Gap

Most of you know that I'm currently working on my mission papers. It's so easy to work on them via the online recommendation system! My bishop opened my account for my on Sunday, all my forms have been filled out so far, and I have all my doctor's appointments scheduled in the next few days. Yahoo!

And, you probably also know that Mom is working on her mission papers, too. Here's a couple of significant differences in our approaches to the online system . . .
1)The Personal Health History Form contains 48 questions regarding personal health. I answered in the affirmative on 5 of them, and it was easy things. I wear corrective lenses. I get mild headaches sometimes, I faint sometimes . . .blah blah blah. Mom? Yeah . . .ask her how many things she had to answer affirmative on! For every thing you answer affirmative on, you have to elaborate in depth on the Additional Health History Form. Think about it . . .wouldn't you be a little overwhelmed to fill out those forms and visit with your doctor if you were as broken as Mom? Good luck with that one! =)
2) There's an option to attach a photo online. I called Mom tonight to ask her about some mission stuff (isn't that what we always talk about these days anyway?!), and I told her that I uploaded a cute photo. In an authentic incredulous voice, she asked, "How'd you do that?!" "I took a picture and uploaded it . . ." "Do I know how to do that? I just saw the word 'upload' and skipped over that part because I didn't know what it meant!" Oh mother, learning how to upload a photo should be the least of your worries! =)


So, folks, I've included my cute uploaded picture. If you look closely enough, you can see my iodine stain on my left cheek. Okay, so it's really the remaining bruising from my wisdom teeth extractions, but Heidi says it looks like iodine. I probably should have waited a few weeks to start my mission papers. I knew I would get right on them and fill them out and schedule my appointments as quickly as I could. If I had started later, I would've had less wait time before I can submit my papers in early April. Oh well . ..I just have to keep telling myself not to pull up the online recommendation system every day. It gets me too excited to focus on anything else that I need to do. Oh, and mom . .. I fully expect you to make a blog post about your adventures with your mission papers! =)

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Mom's comment cracked me up!! Yes, Mom, I taught you how to upload while I worked with you for 8 hours in the summer. Maybe you don't know the word, but you know (or at least have lots of notes to refer to concerning) how to upload pictures. haha

Heidi said...

Cute picture! Ya know what I just realized? I'm thinkin' you should put in your papers in time for me to still be in Utah when you open your call. :) Naw, do it when you want, but I've never been there when a sibling opens his/her call, and you're my last chance! Of course, I'll prolly be with Mom when she opens hers, but whatev.... :D

Spencer said...

Hey Hilda, I ain't never been at anyone's call opening other than my own! And what's worse, I ain't never gotten to go to Olive Garden with the fam after the MTC! And now I'll have to pay for it myself if and when I do!

LaRae said...

Okay, so I do know how to upload, because obviously I upload any and all pictures I have put on my blog. Cut picture, Rebecca.

Rebecca said...

I've been to 5 mission call openings, and out of the four of them in Nauvoo, three were held in the Seventies Hall - the first "Missionary Training Center." Coolio.
Nice typo, Mom. =)

Eric said...

Online mission papers - my how times have changed.