6.11.2009

West Texas Treasures

I suppose I should make all sorts of cool posts about tour to Korea and Japan.
Maybe I will someday. But for right now . . .it's time to divulge some last-time Midland moments in a post entitled "West Texas Treasures." Perhaps you'll see why I love this place so much. =)

This here is the infamous Texas grocery store called HEB. I'm not lying when I tell you it's the biggest grocery store I've ever seen . .the biggest aisles, the biggest carts, the biggest selection. Especially the selection of Texas pride paraphanelia as pictured here. I have some other great pictures of this place, too. Like the giant "Beer and Wine" aisle sign and the giant Texas flag posted above the door. Gotta love this place.




I'm convinced that some of the greatest sunsets ever witnessed are along the wide open spaces of the Permian Basin.




And the sissy stars . ..yeah, those ugly metal stars are huge in Texas. Don't ask me why; I think they are hideodorous. This one was at Sonic Drive-in of all places . . .oh brother!



And who ever said selling the house wasn't bittersweet? Notice the awesome curbside "3604" lettering. Love it.
Here's a series of shots I call "Car poses." Feast your eyes . .. I think one is on the way to FHE, one's on the way to the store, and one's on the way home from swimming (first time all summer I've been swimming . .. what is my dealio?)


And, while I've been in Midland, I even got my teeth cleaned! Here's a picture of me and our long-time dentist and hygenist, Dr. Bash and Kris. They sure look different without face masks on, that's for sure . . .(you're taller than I thought . .. =)


Perhaps the greatest part about being home is serving with the full-time sisters, Sis. Stevens and Sis. Ficken. Here we are in the hot Texas sun, and another picture of us with Steve our awesome new member and Rich, the coolest investigator ever. I seriously have learned so much from going out with them, I've made wonderful new friends, and I feel just a little bit more prepared each day to serve my mission in Peru.

So folks, keep your eyes open for another post about the marvels of Midland, the treasures of Texas and the happenings of home! =)

8 comments:

Jon said...

Harold E. BUTTS!! your right that is the best name for a grocery story

Erin R said...

Hey! I recognize that house in the next-to-last picture! =) I was just there a couple of weeks ago but you weren't. =|

Jennifer said...

You posted! Thanks for the pictures. I'll be there in a month and take my own set of 'last-time-ever' pictures.

Lisa Merkley said...

:( We need to make a combined list of "last time ever" pictures to make sure I don't miss any of them while I'm there. Anyone else interested in making one?

Rebecca said...

That sounds like a great idea, Lisa! I'm in!

Heidi said...

I agree with Jon... Harry Butts was rill smart to have a grocery store named for himself. And just so we're all on the same page, no more immediately after swimming pictures, kay? :)

Heidi said...

...but I do love this post.

LaRae said...

Awesome -- how can we help but love West Texas?! It's not going to be easy to leave.