10.24.2011

Opposites

So I was talking to my roommates the other night about boys. It's a common conversation topic among us girls. What's not so common is that the four of us are ever home to have these types of conversations (and actually, the night I'm thinking of, there were only three of us). And to be honest, since school started, I don't think about boys nearly as much as I did over the summer. Mostly 'cause I'm busy with other stuff. Like school, work, band, my calling (which doesn't really involve many guys), etc. But occasionally, I cast a thought in the direction of the opposite gender.

Here's a recent discovery I made.

A few months ago I had a big crush on a guy in my ward (who will remain nameless for the sake of my anonymous blog audience here). He was very attractive, he's very smart and friendly, and he's a hard worker, and he was a good listener. Which, if you know me at all, you know I like to talk. Bonus points, right? As I got to know him more, I realized that we didn't really have a lot in common. Our interests were about as opposite as night and day. I'm pretty sure he had never set foot in the HFAC, and he probably had no idea what a clarinet even looked like. Yeah, it was that bad. And his sense of humor . .. .okay, his lack of humor, really .. .was so not like mine. I had to remember not to tell corny jokes or puns around him because he never got them, and then I would just feel ridiculous trying to explain why the pencil joke had no point. Sigh. Sad, eh? Yet, I still liked him quite a bit. I felt all giddy and excited around him-sometimes to the point where I didn't know what to say or how to act. And of course, I always tried to sit next to him at church and find excuses to talk to him .. . you know, the normal signs. But then he moved, and I got over him (unlike Ernie and his childhood fish). On the plus side, it's nice to be able to get over a crush quickly, especially when I didn't even have a rebound!

Fast forward to fall semester. New friends, new stuff, new ward, lots of new things. And I'm discovering the exact opposite of what happened to me this summer!! Here's how. So, I'm starting to be pretty good friends with some new people, and one guy in particular is very much like me. He's not crazy enough to study music like me, but he enjoys it. Quite a bit, actually. Not only does he enjoy my lame sense of humor, but he has a pretty lame humor himself. He's so easy to talk to, and I always feel comfortable around him. Not only does he let me talk and listen to me, but he always contributes, too, so I don't feel dumb for dominating the conversation. I feel good when I'm around him, and he always makes me smile. Here's the catch. I just don't feel attracted to him!! I should, right? He fits everything on my "future husband" list that I rewrote and revised about a dozen times over the last several years of my life. I feel good when I'm around him, yet I don't have that excited "Hey-I-really-like-you" feeling around him, and I'm not constantly trying to be aware of him. (You know what I'm talking about, right?). That spark just isn't there no matter how much I wish it could be there.

So, maybe by the next time my roommate conversation about boys comes up again, I'll finally have it right! I'll actually feel excited AND comfortable around a boy I like! I'll keep you updated.

4 comments:

Lisa Merkley said...

Becca, it only takes one boy. Just one.

LaRae said...

Somewhere out there . . . (10 points).

no said...

Common interests are only a tiny part of the equation.

Jennifer said...

Picture Perfect!