1.15.2009

I decided this semester should be full of awkward posts.

Like this one.

I drive my friend Evan to school because he's still recovering from a broken leg he's had since around Thanksgiving. Last semester, we had our first class together every day, so I'd pick him up every day. This semester, I only take him on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but he's out of his special boot, so pretty soon I may not be giving him rides at all anymore. I used to climb the stairs to his apartment so I could help him down the stairs in his crutches. He doesn't need help going down the stairs anymore, but I still go up to his door and knock instead of just calling him.
So, last Tuesday, I climbed the stairs to his door and knocked at the appointed hour of 7:10 in the morning. I had noticed from the parking lot that the light to his living/kitchen area was on. I was a little puzzled because every other time I would pick him up the light would be off because he gets ready in the dark (after all, it is so ridiculously early). Oh, well . ..I thought nothing of the light.
Until I knocked at the door . .. and waited . . .and waited. Then he comes to the door in his bathrobe, apparently so roughly awakened by my knock. So, I come inside and wait on his couch while he goes back to change and get ready super fast. As if that wasn't awkward enough, his new roommate (whom I hadn't yet met) had been asleep on the couch. My knock also woke him, and I'm sure he was pleasantly surprised, if not utterly confused to find a girl in his apartment at such an ungodly hour. "Who are you?" he asks. I explain simply who I am and why I'm there. Noticing it was still dark outside, he asked what time it was. I told him, and he agreed that it was way to early to give any sort of attention to anything academic. He looks around, then he kindly informs me of the obvious. "Uh . .. I think I fell asleep on the couch last night." Hence the reason the light was on, thought I. "Yeah, it looks like it." Luckily I was saved from continuing the painfully awkward situation by the presence of Evan, dressed and ready to go (despite not having showered, of course). We left, and I'm sure his roommate went promptly back to sleep on the couch.
With the light still on.

9 comments:

Spencer said...

That was VERY well written, and I mean it. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Jennifer said...

:)

Lisa Merkley said...

Just you wait. His new roommate will be your eternal companion and you guys will have a great story to tell about how you met...

Emily said...

lol

Rebecca said...

Maybe, Lees.
Or I could end up marrying the boy from the last post, and that would be a great story to tell, too. 'Cause in the first conversation I ever remember having with that boy, I thought he was married.

Spencer said...

I thought you were going to write that you accidentally knocked on the wrong apartment door at seven in the morning.

Eric said...

sounds like their apt is full of potential!

Rebecca said...

Well, I did knock on somebody's wrong door at 5 in the morning once . .. that will be my next post. =)

LaRae said...

I have a funny family. I love it!