1.19.2009

Sister Chronicles, Part 2

In my ward, our Relief Society changes every semester. Last semester I had the opportunity to serve as the Secretary in my RS, and I came to know the sisters so much better than I would have otherwise. Not only did I know what apartments they lived in or where they were from or what their calling was, or other secretarial info, but I got to know them as actual sisters, it seemed. I was especially touched by many many comments they would make in our RS meetings; through those comments I learned to love them better and understand perhaps just a bit more about each one of them. Remember those things that we'd do in Young Womens where you make a list of all the good qualities about everyone else? Well, we did something like that, except this time, we spoke them out loud. On the last Sunday that we all met together, we sat in a giant circle so we could all see each other, and we went around taking time to focus on each person. It was amazing what I learned about each sister by what other sisters had observed of her. What an inredible and Spirit-filled meeting that was! Our president had tape recorded the whole meeting without our prior knowledge, and later that day, we as a presidency typed up all that was said about each person and put it on a nice card as a Christmas gift.

I love Relief Society.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

That's a neat idea. It's always a good boost to self-esteems and like you said, a way to get to know people better as well.

LaRae said...

Such a typical, but never old, activity for girls camp or RS or anything with young women and girls who need their self-esteem boosted. Do you remember when we would do that (writing down) things good about everybody in our family for FHE activities (or perhaps just for part of the lesson)?