2.04.2009

Spiritual Gems, Week 1

My ward started a new study program. Every week, we have a topic to study in our personal sctipure study for at least an half an hour a day. At the conclusion of every week, on Monday at FHE, we discuss what we've learned throughout the week. I love this program; the ward is united in a common cause, and it's a good way to direct my personal study.
This week's topic was faith and hope. I loved studying about hope. To me, hope is the optimism and peace that comes from righteous living. Hope is a strong sense of trust in the future. As I studied faith, though, I felt it was more applicable to me . ..especially this week.
Remember my last post about my friend at the Testing Center? At the end of the school week, nothing was looking hopeful for him. It seemed most likely that he would have to drop the course, and that he'd be known on his honor record as a cheater. I was sad for him, but there really wasn't anything I could do. As I was studying my scriptures shortly after the incident, I came across this familiar passage: "Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." (Heb. 11:1). I hoped that things would work out well with my friend's situation. And the evidence seen (the scratch paper) was not what my hoped was centered on; it was the evidence not seen. He was honest in his dealings, I knew, and I had faith that it would all work out. And on an eternal scheme . .. not a big deal. So, I quit worrying about it.
How cool was it then, when he told me on Monday that after he and the teacher talked to Linda at the TC, they let it go? Pretty rad in my book. He, of course, was thrilled. =) So was I. I suppose faith has this way of letting things work out when you least expect it . . .=)

3 comments:

LaRae said...

That's awesome, Becca, not only that your own faith and hope were increased through study and application, but that your friend was no longer being charged with cheating!

Jenny said...

YAY!!!

Eric said...

Life would be dismal if it weren't for hope. Hope you had fun studying this week ;)