3.06.2009

What Did You Learn Today?

Do you know anything about Arnold Schoenberg? He was brilliant. With the need for something new in music and the ever increasing chromaticism existing at the turn of the 20th century, he was able to create and compose in a completely new 12-tone row form.
Did you know that in West Africa, the clothing they wear corresponds to the type of music they perform? It varies in brightness, texture and color, paralleling the rich variety in the music.
And in consideration of the self, "I" am the thinker, and I think about "me."
The Bb Major scale is really not that difficult to play on the cello.
And teaching the recorder is not as painful as I thought.
Ammon was a brilliant missionary in introducing himself and his message, being a true friend through service, and teaching the basics of the Gospel.
Kore wa ikuradesuka? (How much does this cost?)

I love to learn! I'm not the greatest student, I sometimes fall asleep in class, I don't remember everything, and I don't make perfect grades, but I love going to class. I feel like I'm constantly getting just a tiny dabbling of everything there is out there to learn. (Which may be why I always take a ton of classes every semester). When day-to-day life gets bogged down with a busy schedule, sometimes it's such a relief to be able to read about stuff and learn. It's just so fulfilling. It reminds me of what Dad used to say at the dinner table everyday, "What did you learn today?" So, friends .. .tell me .. .what did you learn today?

10 comments:

Tanya said...

Today I learned that I can have an influence over what me and my family can do.

I have also recently learned that I can actually reach that darn Bb, which is good and I don't screech when I hit it.

Jennifer said...

I can't walk up the hill to the temple at the same speed as another temple worker. We started walking together, but by the end, she was ahead of me by 8-10 paces.

One of my temple coordinators is younger than I might have guessed. She has grey hair interspersed with black, and has a 21 year old son.

Apparently I look to be about 21 years old??!

There is a large typo in the professional journal article I read for class.

I know now about where the people I wouldn't mind being my future parents-in-law live. Don't read anything into that!!!!

LaRae said...

I still can't watch "The Testaments" without having tears stream down my face.

I still love baptisms. It has been so wonderful to see our shy little devastated Peggy (devastated because she had recently lost her husband) who had lost hope and faith in God turn into the wonderful sister who has gained a testimony of the Plan of Salvation, loves the Book of Mormon, and has such a smile on her face now (although she still of course misses her husband).

I have a heart murmur that I didn't have before (oops, I learned that a couple of days ago).

Jenny said...

I learned that one pieces are out and overpriced string bikinis are in nowadays. And that finding a cute modest one-piece swimsuit is impossible. In the course of that discovery, I learned that I am a lot more willing to branch out and try new things--I got myself a rather daring (for conservative little me) tankini, even though I'm a little worried about what will happen when I cannonball into the pool as I am wont to do. In the words of my sister, I've never outgrown my inner twelve year old. :)

Rebecca said...

Jenny, I can give you great suggestions on buying a modest swimsuit. They go like this:
1)do it in the middle of winter
2)go to Big 5 Sporting Goods Store
3)add some snow falling outside
4)mix in a boy there to make it even more awkward than it already is
(If you haven't, you should read my post entitled "Just Keep Swimming." =)

Heidi said...

I learned that you put up good blog posts.

The BYU Basketball team is amazing, and I can be very vocal when I'm watching sports on TV (though I kind of already know that). Most of my friends can't picture me screaming at a TV, because apparently I haven't done that in front of them.

My mile is about 13 minutes (at least today it was).

Running a 5K makes me sleepy for the rest of the day. Naps help to alleviate this sleepiness.

Kristy said...

Amen, learning is sweet, especially when testing is not involved. I learned that I'm ready to graduate.

Emily said...

I learned that if you want to win something at a raffle - after the prize is announced, say, "Now that's what I'll win." You're sure to win... even if you don't want it.

I also learned that 5k is not as bad as I thought it'd be and I loved running with friends.

Jennifer said...

Mom, is Peggy the one that was shy in coming to church, participating in lessons, etc?

LaRae said...

Yes, Jennifer. But she has so completely come out of her shell with having friends in the gospel, and having the hope and faith that the gospel (and particularly the plan of salvation) bring to her!