4.11.2011

Reflections on the Resurrection

Easter is coming up. The other day I was thinking of a very nice lady I met on my mission named Rebeca. She was one of the very few Rebecas I met in Peru, and for that I felt something special for her. We found her when we visited her neighbors who were a part-member/less active family. Down their street somebody had died, and they had the viewing canopy in front of the house of the mourning family. We went back a few days later and visited that elderly sister. She was pretty old, and she just kept saying that she was so glad we came to visit her . ..that we had remembered her. I remember we sang the hymn "Christ the Lord is Risen Today," and by the end she had tears in her eyes. I don't really remember what else we said, and I know that the words which we said gave her a sense of hope for the resurrection.
I thought of her the other day during the Sacrament. How is she doing? We only ever visited her once. Obviously, I never got to see the full fruits of her accepting and fully believing the Gospel and eventually being baptized, but I hope that someday she will.
I love the Resurrection. President Monson stated the beautiful doctrine so simply and wonderfully in a recent Conference Address. Here's just a snippet of it. I am so grateful for the Resurrection. It's the most wonderful miracle of all, and it extends to each one of us. Without overcoming the physical death as such, it would be impossible to return to the presence of our Father in Heaven. So, to all those dear elderly widows named Rebeca, or even for the troubled sister in Chimbote whose father passed away, or for the cousin who struggles over the declining health of his parents, or whoever you may be. Know that He lives. And because He lives, we will live.

1 comment:

LaRae said...

Thanks, Rebecca. Love your spirit and testimony.