5.21.2011

Peruvian Post

I was invited to a mission get-together several weeks ago, but I didn't go. I don't really remember why. One of the guys asked me why I didn't go, and I told him . ..and I committed to going to the next one.

So that's what I did tonight! We went to a Peruvian Restaurant in Orem called La Carreta. It was my first time eating there, and it was actually quite yummy. (Nope, still haven't been brave enough to try ceviche!). I was a little worried about getting there and not knowing a bunch of the guys. You know, as sister missionaries, we all know each other, but there's probably fewer elders that we know. And I've always been awkward around guys . ..that's a known fact. And I've only been home for a few months, so . . .I'm still a newbie in the returned sense. So now you know why I was a little nervous as I was driving over there. My friend Lisa said that it was normal . .. I mean, seeing each other as civilians for the first time . ..it's okay to be a little weirded out, right? I borrowed Heidi's Michal Buble CD to listen to in the car to not get nervous. I totally cranked up "Haven't Met You Yet" (how appropriate for those elders I don't know, eh? =) and listened to it about 3 times before getting out of the car.

But guess what. I HAD SO MUCH FUN!! I knew almost every single person there! Of all the people that were there, I had only seen one of them since coming home, so it was fun to catch up. There were two guys that brought significant others, so I tried talking to them a bit more (knowing that they don't have any Peru stuff in common). And besides the fact that some of the guys and long-ish hair (totally normal, right?), I learned that they are still the same cool guys I knew. We're just doing different things in our lives now.

Funny things: the tres leches dessert was really just a fruit/shortcake thing. The waitress thought the guy next to me and I were on the same ticket (heck, all the other guy/girl couples were on the same ticket!).

Other good things: saltado mixto. So good. Especially the shrimp. I finally gave Hna. Jewkes the picture CD I was supposed to give her since being home. There were two other guys that came home from the mission with me, so I wasn't the only recent one. A random lady came up to our table and just gushed over us because we had gone to Peru. All to Trujillo. And she thought it was a coincidence that we had all gone to the same mission.

Peru things: talking about people/areas we've had in common. Mixing up Spanish and English like none other. Mixing up Ud. and Tu like none other.

Feel-good things: Laughing. Joking. Eating. Sharing the news of other mission people that we know. (aka, what we've gleaned from facebook).

Awkward things: The only regret is that our table was long and narrow, so I hardly said a word to the guys on the other end of the table. And I only got one or two awkward side hugs from a couple of the guys. (p.s. I hate those! haha)

Will I go next time?! Most definitely yes! =). And I won't have to listen to Michael Buble to not feel nervous either!

2 comments:

Jenni said...

Hey Rebecca I just followed over from the good ol' facebook. I'm so bummed we didn't have anytime to stop by while we were in Utah for graduation :( Anyways, I'm going to blog stalk you now so that we can keep up. You can find my meanderings over at richoccasions.blogspot.com :)

LaRae said...

I'm so looking forward to reunion times of California Riverside Mission! I'm sure I will know a ton of those who come!