8.27.2011

In My Element

Well, folks, I've finished another successful week of Band Camp with the BYU Cougar Marching Band. In just a few days, I have:

-memorized and passed off several tunes
-made lots of new friends
-had a good time with lots of old friends who are still in band
-got fitted for my uniform
-drank lots and lots of water
-sweat lots and lots
-got several shades redder . .. well, just darker, really.

With my section I have:
-had a pre-band camp party
-dressed up as a dementor to help us win the spirit stick on Harry Potter day
-made too many lame jokes. They already know me for that.
-helped section members learn and pass off music

With the entire band, I have:
-enjoyed the Band Social and lasagna dinner on Wednesday night
-been filmed by a BYU news team (we might be famous!)
-played at the New Student Orientation presentation thing in the stadium
-learned/played over 40 tunes. Oh yeah, you better believe it.
-come up with some cool new visuals for our stand cheers.
-learned the entire Pregame show
-learned the opener for Show A (I can't give away any secrets, but I am going to say that it'll be pretty awesome)
-learned half of our opener for the Rocky Mountain show.

And then there's just the random things from band camp, like giving rides to section members, going out to eat with random baritone players, and eating lunch with fellow Nauvoo Band members (from the original 2008 family). And then there's the things that make me laugh, like Bro. Mac's great quotes (Don't be a musical chicken!), the sexy sax man theme, the way we all try to cram in the shade of the Rameumptum during water breaks because there is literally no other shade on the hot asphalt. Oh, and then there was a day that was supposed to be super hot, and there ended up being a nice cloud cover and a sprinkling of rain.

My friend Lisa said it well when she said that what makes band kids unique is that we're so comfortable around each other. And I would have to agree. Band puts me in my element. With band buddies, I feel the most like myself. And there's nothing comparable to the feeling you get when you nail a drill or hit that awesome set or totally tear through that tough lick. So even though I'm still in awe that the week has ended so quickly, it was probably one of the greatest weeks I've had all summer. What can I say. I LOVE BAND!

1 comment:

LaRae said...

So glad you love what you are doing with your music and your band friends. Everyone should love what he or she has chosen to do in any part of his/her life!

I love you, Rebecca, you're awesome in your enthusiasm for life!