11.23.2008

It's Mission Time

Do you ever have a feeling of rightness that seems so simple because it's good? The feeling of rightness that makes you just want to celebrate life and its goodness! Lately, I've felt a great feeling of rightness in regards to my upcoming mission, and I thought that I'd share a few of these thoughts with you.
First of all, I've found the timing to leave that works best for me. At some point this summer when I was trying to decide if I should serve a full-time mission, and my answer came in a very distinct way. The answer wasn't a yes or no necessarily, but it was a specific date. In pondering and praying alot about that, I know when I need to go. The biggest things I was concerned about in the timing was my degree program and marching band. So yes, I will be coming back mid-semester, so I'd be two years out of school. And yes, sadly, I am missing two consecutive seasons of Marching Band. But the confirmation and feeling of rightness that comes when I think about leaving next summer far outweighs what I will leave behind.
Secondly, along with that timing thing. If everything goes according to plan, Mom and I will be serving our missions at the same time. I'm convinced that there's no greater blessing we can bring to each other and to our family than having yet two more missionaries representing the Blake family.
Thirdly, and perhaps most importantly in regards to the timing issue is this ever present feeling that I won't be at BYU next year. If I were, I'd still be in marching band, I'd be starting my el-ed sequence, and I'd be roommates with Heidi. All ingredients for a great year, but the oven isn't preheated-it's just not the right time for me to stay at BYU. And yet, it doesn't feel like I'm leaving BYU forever because I'm certainly not. I will be back .. ..just not for a while. And I'm feeling less of a connection with my ward as time gets closer for me to go, reminding me that I will also be leaving them behind as well.
Finally, in many recent experiences in my life, I feel like the Lord is preparing me to serve. In my callings the past year, I've worked with missionary council and with the sisters of the Church, both the type of relationships I will have on the mission. And Nauvoo . . . not enough can be said how He prepared me there! I've learned much from the words of the prophets and my scripture study. I continually receive support from several of my friends who are themselves serving missions or preparing to serve.
So, now I ask you . ...what do you feel right about?

1 comment:

Jenny said...

You would be concerned with missing marching band :P I understand, though. What do I feel right about? Going into music. Somedays I wonder if I'll survive it, but I know that's where I'm supposed to be.