4.04.2009

Peruvian Night Out

Tonight my friends Ali and Cheryl and I went to eat at a Peruvian restaurant called Se llama Peru. Ali was born in Peru, and even though she was adopted and grew up in the States, she's been back to Peru a couple times. In fact, she's even going to Lima this summer while I'll be in the MTC there. She told me all about Peru . .the weather, the people, the shops. She even had pictures to show me. I'm rill rill excited!=)
I had a great time at the restaurant. I laughed that the menu had pictures of everything, just so there are no surprises when you order. We ordered Inca Kola, which is basically the golden cola in Peru. I think it tasted like bubble gum. Ali and I ordered lomo saltado; she got steak, I got chicken. It was a chicken dish with grilled onions and tomatoes. The biggest kick I got out of the food is that rice and french fries are served with everything! And the french fries aren't on the side like they are in America; they're part of the dish. Seems like a weird combo, huh? By the end of my meal, I learned to like the taste of french fries drenched in meat and onion grease. Mmmm, yummy! It was rill rill good. And very filling, too. The three of us only know limited Spanish, so paying for our food was a little challenge for us because the guy hardly knew how to speak English. Oh, and there was a telenovela playing on the TV in the background. And we listened to latino music in the car on the way there. And I grabbed a Spanish newspaper on my way out to freshen up my reading skillz. When we got home, we watched The Emperor's New Grove to celebrate Cuzco and Peru. We really wanted to watch it in Spanish, but it only had options in English and French of all languages. Oh well . . .we still liked it.
One of my friends called me a Peruvian princess today; I guess with all this celebration tonight, I really felt like one! =)

2 comments:

Spencer said...

Do you know, was the soda that you drank papaya flavored? I had some papaya soda on my mission several times, and it was bright yellow and also tasted like bubblegum...

LaRae said...

Fun! Now that you have your call, you will find all kinds of references to Peru, people who went there, or had an uncle who went there, etc. The name of Peru will pop up all the time now!