Welcome September! As many of you know, my former mission companion and best friend, Sis. Hannah Bates and I made some goals for the entire month of August. After being inspired by other sisters on the mission, we attempted to go without sweets for the whole month. Yes, that meant we didn't eat all the brownies, ice cream and cookies that were offered to us as departing missionaries, nor did I eat donuts at pear picking or birthday cake at Sibdin. Honestly, at first, it felt like fasting, and along those lines, I certainly learned that I do indeed have self control. So, if I ever wanted to lose weight or eat better (takers anyone?!), then I know I can do it . ..at least for a month.
Our other goal was to read the entire Book of Mormon during the month of August, just like the Odessa Texas Stake challenges us to do every year. Although I wasn't as diligent in daily reading as Mom, I did start and complete the whole book in August. I read from a copy I bought in Nauvoo-a fascimile copy of the original 1830 edition. I enjoyed reading from that edition. Not only did it read more like a novel, but I kept thinking and remembering that this edition is what those early Nauvoo Saints read when they gained their testimonies of the book's truthfulness and the reality of the Prophet Joseph Smith. I love that book, and it's almost impossible not to feel the personal reality of my Savior Jesus Christ as I read it.
So .. .any ideas for September goals? =)
3 comments:
How neat to have a copy of the Book of Mormon without chapters and verses. it must have been fun when you can across very familiar verses such as scripture mastery verses or such.
What was your first September treat?
Read "my Labor day mistake" post . ..it'll tell you all about it. =)
Post a Comment